Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Jun 7 09:52:15 2006

Well, all I can say Peter is that I don't have any of the issues with the
Olympus 'digital' lenses, which, quite honestly, perform at the level of my
Leica M lenses. I need have problems with the Oly lenses, which is why I
really don't waste my time screwing around with using them.

I fully expect the digital M to be a really nifty, if grossly overpriced,
camera. I'm sure it will produce stellar images - of course so will a $300
point and shoot these days. I'm just surprised at this self-described
limitation.

(Why do I say it's grossly overpriced? It's simple - the only thing that
justifies the price - well used to justify the price - of new Leica Ms and
Rs is that they literally were cameras for a life time. But in this
electronic, digital age, that is simply no longer so. Even if one is willing
to stick with 2006's digital technology, with a 10 mgp file and a 1.3x crop
- and I can easily see making that decision - one is still buying a computer
wrapped in a traditional body. And computers, unlike Leica Ms, are not
"forever." So when a Canon 5D full-frame camera costs $3.2K, and a 20D is,
what, $1300, and so on, a price of $5K is insane for what one is buying -
whether or not it mounts Leica glass. But, hey, to each his own in terms of
what's worth what. There are, after all, zillions of people who could never
understand why an M was worth what was charged for it.)

B. D.