Subject: WAS [Leica] question...NOW: LUG photo quality, etc.
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Jun 8 14:29:27 2006

The LUG rocks!  Nicer and more knowledgable folks can hardly
be found. Unlike most other photo lists, the LUG is a real
community.  I feel I can ask any question and not face ridicule.
In fact, I feel I can ask almost any on or off topic question and
get a pretty good answer.

By way of comparison, I'm on another list oriented around digital
gear. I posted something and about 10 pimply brats jumped all
over me. Really nasty jerks.

I exchanged a few mails with the moderator. I told him I was used
to the LUG, where kids don't act like a**holes to middle aged,
responsible men and women, many of whom have ~$10K of gear
in their stable and/or pull in several hundred G's per year. Yes,
 bit of hyperbole, but I was pissed at the time.

Once I mentioned the LUG, he opened up. He knew about the
LUG, was an older fellow himself and was mostly an 8x10
shooter in recent years. He was curteous and explained that
kids dominated the group and that the "ground rules" were
decided by vote by the pimply brats when the forum was
setup.

Anyway, the point is that I find the LUG is about the *UG*
as much as or more than the *L*.  It's about the people as
much as ore more than about the gear. And that's as it should
be - after all, the gear is already so darned good :-)

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) (WAS [Leica] question...NOW: LUG photo quality, etc.)
Message from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) (WAS [Leica] question...NOW: LUG photo quality, etc.)