Subject: [Leica] Re: Great hawk photo
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Jun 8 15:01:58 2006

Doug,

You are very lucky to have found such a laid back hawk. My wife and I
were abroad for a year on a visiting professorship. When we returned
home we found that a large wood hawk had taken up residence in a tree
near our front door. The hawk was determined to protect its territory
and its young hawklings. Every time my wife left the house the hawk
would dive bomb her. Once it even tore a cap from her head, clutching
it in its talons. She could feel the downdraft from its three foot
wingspan. She took to carrying a broom over her head going from the
house to the car. I tried to take pictures but it was too hard to focus
my Leica on a target diving toward me at 30 mph. My wife's screaming
didn't help my concentration much either. Eventually the young left the
nest and the hawk family moved on. They returned the next year but
established the nest a couple of hundred yards further into the woods.
A wary truce reigns to this day.

I'll leave the great hawk pictures to you. Flowers are much safer.

Larry Z