Subject: [Leica] Just back from India, question about burning hole in shutter
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Sun Jun 11 03:26:39 2006

I am just back from a very interesting trip to Bangalore (too few days, but
in a way, just enough days).  Interesting to see the thread on the
temples...hmm.

I was visiting my workteam, and a bit of sightseeing.  The camera on my trip
was a Leica CL.

One question, on one day, my workteam took me out to  play cricket and when
it was "team photo" time, one of the guys took our cameras (there were 2 of
us), stood back and took our photos.  My camera was at f16, and I noticed
that he put it face up on the ground.

I had thoughts of horror as I worried about the sun burning a hole into the
shutter.  I did notice that he wound the film on, so I think at least there
was a chance of the sun, coming in at f16, hitting the meter.

So my LUG questions:

1. can the sun at f16 burn a hole?  I'm not wanting to try the experiment

2.  can the sun at f16 hurt my CL meter?  It seems fine.  I suspect the sun
is not at its focal point for the meter face

I did notice a discoloured patch that is off to the edge of the shutter, 1/4
of the way to the edge.  It doesn't look like the sun "melted" the rubber
there, maybe it was there always.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vick Ko