Subject: [Leica] Self-Portratits - again?
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Tue Jun 20 13:30:44 2006

Wow! I had no idea he did any kind of "field work." I knew
he did stage set design work for theater, but man, I guess Cecil
Beaton was one versatile cat!

That self portrait with the Rollie is in my book. In fact, there's
a section of portraits *of* Beaton, and many are wonderful self
portraits. Of these, many are rather experimentally staged and
pretty clever.

(The pic I linked to is a Beaton portrait of someone else.)

I find it weird that a photog who shot FANTASTIC stuff all
the way from Lilian Gish in the 1920's, to Camus and Sartre
in the 40's through pics of JFK and the Rolling Stones in the
1960's isn't discussed more, mentioned in threads and what
not.  As if among "commercial/fashion/portrait" photogs of
the 20th century, only Avedon and Penn are worthy of
memory and study. OK - I really didn't mean that last quip,
but hopefully you get my point.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35

Message from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Self-Portratits - again?)
Message from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Self-Portratits - again?)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Self-Portratits - again?)