Subject: [Leica] OT 25/1.4 lens for 4/3 system to be expected
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Jun 21 10:55:02 2006

The question regarding noise has to be answered, in large part, based on
what you consider an acceptable level of noise/grain. When shooting with my
Ms, my standard film was Tri-X at 800 iso. That's unacceptably noisy to
someone who shoots slow slide film. I suspect that the people doing testing
are using slow slide films as the standard. There is absolutely no question
that Canon has come the closest to licking the noise problem at high isos.
The 20D and 30D, not just the flag ship camera, can blow away film when it
comes to high iso noise. Honestly, none of the Olys can touch the Canons in
that regard. On the other hand, almost all the subway stuff was shot at 800
iso, and as you noted, noise isn't an issue. Of course if you were looking
at film images taken under the same circumstances, you'd expect to see
grain, so maybe your brain accepts noise with low-light shots.

In terms of focal lengths, if the camera is a 4/3, then there's a 2x
magnification factor. So that Leica lens is 14-50 mm, the equivalent of
28-100. Frankly, unless you're dying for IS, you'd be insane to shell out
the dough for the Leica lens, given how good - and how well built, the
Olympus 14-54 is - for less than half the price. But maybe you really,
really need IS - in which case it's worth it. ;-)