Subject: [Leica] a day at the drag races
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Jun 22 19:15:15 2006

John Mason wrote:

God willing, by the end of the summer, I'll have
finished shooting and interviewing for a book that
will, among other things, try to explain why this is
so.

[snip]
-----------------

That sounds like a very interesting book. "Race in America" is such
a complex dynamic, and hence an intriguing subject.

 From what one sees on TV, one would think it's all still housing
projects and the Klan or something. I'm no sociologist, but
growing up in Baltimore, I made several black friends, got
along cordially with black folks downtown, played against alot of
black soccer players, particularly the ones who went to
Catholic schools, etc. Even saw a white mayor and then a black
one and then another white one. Of course, Baltimore enjoys a
majority black population and is a pretty segregated - but it
was enough to teach me that race relations are NOT full
represented by "Cops" or other like nasty TV shows.

Drag racing sounds like it's one area where folks live in the
solution and not in the problem. I think our fellow citizens
could be well encouraged by books like yours and by being
exposed to other areas where "integration" (take that as you
will) works.

I'm curious - how many folks here feel that there is a "social
dimension" or "activist component" (pick your own words) to
your photographic work?

Scott