Subject: [Leica] Twin Towers
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Jun 23 12:30:02 2006

>In a message dated 6/23/06 4:36:53 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:
>

>>  I was amazed at how fast they both came down. Plane crash or no, there
>>  is something not quite kosher about the twin and simultaneous collapse.
>>
>>  Walt
>>  -----------------------
>The architect in charge of construction admitted on TV that they failed to
>encase the center utilities column, in concrete. They used drywall. The
>plane
>shot right through the entire building. There was nothing to stop
>it. Yep, they
>cut corners and there was no municipal or state law to compel them to spend
>the money and take the time to do the job right.
>
>Bob

As an architect I have to say that is both a silly and definitely a
simplistic analysis.

The towers were not designed for such an impact, and certainly had no
reason to be.

You can never design any building to withstand all disasters. You can
not design it both because the depth of knowledge does not exist nor
does the imagination exist, the technology and construction methods
do not exist, and, most importantly, you cannot afford to by orders
of magnitude.

If a serious earthquake hits the central US (and it will, just like
it has in the past) tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands
of lives will be lost. If an earthquake of the magnitude of the '64
Alaska quake hit Vancouver (and it will), tens of thousands of lives
will be lost.

These are disasters we can imagine, and that will happen. We don't
know when, but they will. We have the technology to prepare for them
and to design for them, but the standards don't force the
construction of buildings that will truly resist these disasters,
because a) we cannot afford them - again, we are talking of orders of
magnitude, not 2x or 5x the cost- and b) everything around them, the
whole infrastructure, is gone so to have a building withstand them is
almost pointless.

We make choices, based on our knowledge, technologies, economic
abilities and lifespan timelines. These are not irrational choices,
but it does mean that every once in a while something bites us. We
learn a bit each time, but just as we have to stop searching for the
perfect lens, and go out and shoot, we also have to build, live, and
get on with life. We definitely have to get over the 'what if'
syndrome at some point.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design