Subject: OT: Re: [Leica] Twin Towers
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Fri Jun 23 16:50:58 2006

Um, the LUG is on the Web, and I don't view the LUG
as promulgating a pack of disinformation. Or the  NYT
on the Web, and so on and so forth.

Just because information is posted on the Web does not
make it false.  To the contrary. A good buddy of mine
pointed out years ago that if you have deep knowledge of
a topic, reading mainstream news reports on that topic
always seem misinformed, shallow, in parts, downright
wrong, and generally disappointing.

IMHO, he's right! In my software days, I always sought
out "alternative media" and web forums (Usenet before
that) for reliable information on new infrastructure and
development tools. The popular announcements and
reviews might as well be advertisements or worse.
The "alternative" information is universally better. Hell,
I've "purchased services" from a few industry analysts
(alleged high quality info) in exchange for a nice write
up for my former company.

Of course, the world - online and offline - is full of cranks.

But there's absolutely no prima facie reason for selecting the
statements of the US or any other government as the gold
standard of credibility.

Again, given the time, read the conflicting info (on any topic)
and ultimately judge for oneself.

Scott