Subject: [Leica] armed America
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Mon Jun 26 15:20:55 2006

Kyle Cassidy wrote:
Steve hit something right on the head -- and very hard, when he pointed
out: "clearly the folks who want to be photographed in their living
rooms  with their guns are a very minute subset of gunned America, so
it's  not evident what they represent... (except people who want to be
photographed in their living room with  their guns...)"

That's really an important consideration.  When I looked at your excellent
photos for the book I came away with feeling that these gun owners were
being looked at as something distinctively different from most folks I
know.  Then I realized that I own 2 guns -- one I bought as a teenager for
hunting, which I never pursued, and another that my wife inherited.  I have
little or no interest in them today but I do still own them.  Would I agree
to being photographed with them?  Sure, as long as I didn't feel I was being
set up to make some kind of point that I may not agree with.  In fact, I
think it's very important to have the full range of gun owners represented.
So if you're ever back in the west, drop me a line.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE