Subject: [Leica] OT: OpenOffice Suite
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Fri Jun 30 19:24:57 2006

funny, i am on the openoffice mailing list and i thought this was
from that list.

i've been using open office for 5 years now, and
it keeps getting better.  for general word processing, OO does
pretty much everything you need, and does a very good job reading
and writing .doc files.  it's not quite as facile with spreadsheets,
because excel has a fantastic (if not chaotic) number of features
built into excel, like vba programming, solver, pivot tables etc.
however OO calc does a generally good job reading and writing the
90% of plain-jane excel files that get shipped around the office.

i used openoffice at morgan stanley for virtually all my work, most of
which was reading word docs and spreadsheets sent by others.  at home,
i have OO on my main system (fedora 5 desktop) and two laptops (fedora 2
and 5), and 2 macintoshes.

there's an article in the July 3rd Business Week p.68 about MS Office
and its competition.  they list 400mm MS office users, 40mm OO users,
15mm word perfect users, and down the list from there. they also
mention an interesting web-based system: http://www.ajaxlaunch.com/

-rei