Subject: [Leica] Jill Greenberg's Distressed Children
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Wed Jul 5 13:34:15 2006

True. Everybody involved in this should be.

This is just plain immoral:
1) Kids of this age cannot express their own will. So they cannot not
agree.
2) Even if they could, they do not have the power to force their own
will.
3) Provoking children of this age in a negative way is the same as
deliberately hurting them, which is a crime IMO.

To make myself absolutely clear, and hoping for few comments
pretending the opposite, I'll make a comparison:
How would people react if Greenberg would have produced a series of
in all ways beautiful pet dog portraits, except for the fact that
they would all have a clearly slit throat?
It's exactly the same. Less worse even, if one could qualify these
kind of things.

About the comparison with provocation of children in f.i.
advertising: I've done/tried it (to get a positive result) myself at
the start of my career, not knowing better.
It doesn't work. Children of this age do not and cannot understand
'that it's not for real'.
So they are either really happy, or not. What you see is what you get
with them. I wouldn't have an problem photographing them if they are
happ. But I certainly wouldn't get them feeling unhappy. Not if they
were booked via an agency, not if their parents would put the
shooting wages on their kids account for later on, not... Just never.

If Greenberg is trying to provoke our thinking about morality with
this work, it's just plain insulting and she truly is underestimating
her public. The majority of people still does not need any provoking
on this matter: (at least deep down) their morality is still intact.

Op 5-jul-06, om 22:03 heeft George Lottermoser het volgende geschreven: