Subject: [Leica] BW: Railway Workshop - Wernigerode
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed Jul 5 13:48:51 2006

Thanks everyone for looking,
Richard, it is a lost era, but one that hardly anyone misses, only a few
weeks before, the "Workers Collective" pulled out and nobody knew what
the future held for their jobs or the railway. Until the frontier fell,
the railway up the mountain was only used for transporting Russian
military materials to their "listening post" at the summit (which is now
a hotel and museum).Access  to the mountain had been  forbidden since
the early 50s. The  railway is now enjoying so much success that they
are even building a new  stretch of track to the northeast. There are
wonderful photo opportunities on another part of the line where steam
hauled trains run through the narrow streets of towns and villages -
I'll have to get over there again sometime.
Douglas