Subject: [Leica] RE Tale of Two Telyts Part Deax - The Evil Twin (bob palmieri)
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jul 7 22:01:59 2006

Bob, I looked again at this effect for my own education.

I am more than ever convinced that this is a digital artifact we are seeing.

When you enlarge the image so that the individual pixels are very blocky,
(say 500%)you can see that the purple is a discrete and very even line at
the edge of the blown highlight.

Yet it is not present at all on the (very fine) highlight on the vertical
edge of the leg. If this was an aberration in the analog info, I would have
thought that there would be some other traces of it in the other areas.

Along the edge of the log where the highlight is completely white the fringe
is just about a perfect diagonal 4 pixel wide line. (1/1000th inch line in
the scanned slide?????)

I'd really be interested to hear the definitive outcome of this

Cheers,

Hoppy

Happy to be proven wrong, but love to learn

Bob, pardon me if this is a silly question.

Is this aberration definitely visible on the film?

(I assume its transparency film)

After your image is captured on film, obviously it must then be scanned to
produce your digital image for posting. I wondered if the aberration was
being introduced at that (weak link) point by the scanner?

Cheers,

 Hoppy

(who'd like a focomat in his coolscan)