Subject: [Leica] Re: Hybrid Photography - Thanks for help
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Sat Jul 8 07:14:37 2006

Dan

There is nothing really hybrid about your intentions since it might
provide the best of two methods. You might even consider processing your
own Tri-x which is a relatively simple procedure. A changing bag
provides a mobile darkroom and once you load you stainless steel tanks
the rest can be done in the kitchen.Doing your own film processing does
give a much needed feel for capturing what you see.

As far as printers go there is a general consensus Epson is at the top
of the list. A 1280 can be purchased for 399 with 100 rebate from the
factory  and make b&w 11x13's to match just about anything.(for all
important ink considerations see  http://home1.gte.net/res09aij/)
Although one could make decent prints with a flatbed it is still not a
dedicated film scanner. If you only shoot 35mm then do yourself a favor
and get a Nikon Coolscan.  There is much back and forth on the net
concerning which machine does what best but Nikon will be available
until the bitter end of film. You mentioned the resolution of the Epson
scanner but is it optical resolution or interpolated? There is a
difference and before I'd take the chance I'd want to know how long does
it take to scan a 35mm frame at full resolution on the flatbed?

 Hope some of this information is helpful. One more thing, just as film
and camera are the basic tools of traditional photography, Adobe
Photoshop is the foundation for digital work. Don't know if you have it
already but if not then you might consider it.

Sincerely

Walt