Subject: [Leica] re: how to appreciate the lousy photos of others
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Sun Jul 9 16:02:33 2006

bob sed:

>In fact, this is one reason that I'm surprised that Kyle claims not to
>"get" the
>Eggleston thing, since one of the things I really like about his shots
>strikes me as a similarly original use of color.
>
>Bob Palmieri

aaaagh!

did i ever tell you about the time that eggelston and i went to the amish
farmers market together? he was buying goat cheese, by the pound, i have no
freaking idea why, but we were in a huge rental car, you could have put a
brass band in this thing, some sort of cadillac or somewhat from the 1970's
-- this was back in '85 or '86 and i wasn't sleeping a lot at the time, so
it's a bit fuzzy -- anyway, he had all this damn goat cheese, maybe forty or
fifty pounds of it. we'd drive down the road, all the while, his mouth is
flapping conspiracy theories, UFO's, algier hiss, that kind of stuff, he'd
see  a farmers market and slam on the brakes, skid us to the side of the
road and leap out demanding freaking goat cheese. "do you have any goat
cheese?!" he'd bellow, "i must have the goat cheese!" he'd throw wads of
money at them. he didn't even count it anymore. It had been like this for
days, half of the stuff was rancid, it smelled like we had a dead hooker in
the trunk. he wanted to take all this goat cheese to Estes Kefauver's house
-- give it to him with this crudely drawn birthday card he'd made back when
we were staying in SoHo. we'd be going flat out through these backwater
highways, blasting past buggies at 110, 115 miles an hour, the horses would
go mad as we whipped past, the shock wave from just the air must have been
incredible, but eggelston -- that was hardly enough for his psychotic mind,
he'd always lay on the horn, BRAAAAP! and the horse would fly up into the
air and before you could see the buggy completely tip over in the rear view,
we were so far down the road it would have been impossible without
binoculars anyway. the point of this story is that eggelston had a camera
around his neck, it was a nikon FE with a motor drive, he had the thing
around his neck like Flav-a-Flave, wore it everywhere, with this crazy radio
reciever attached to the top of it -- some rube goldberg device they made
for him up at MIT, it looked like an alarm clock hidden in a loaf of bread.
Anyway, there was this girl in Des Moins -- I can hardly call her a girl,
she was about 45, but anyway, she was in an iron lung and had been since she
was like 3 or 4, and all she ever did was stare up at the ceiling and watch
"the price is right". she could move one finger, just one. and eggelston had
given her this box with a radio antenna, and when she pushed that button,
wherever he was in the country, that camera would go off. KACHING! and take
a picture of whatever was in front of egg. it was the darndest thing i ever
saw. but that's how we got his portfolio together. when we finally made it
to Burnt Church, Tennissee, we had all the film developed and sorted by a
gorilla at the zoo there and sent back to his agent. Wait, his agent might
have been the gorilla, like i said, this is all a bit hazy ---

kc

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] re: how to appreciate the lousy photos of others)