Subject: [Leica] Re: NYT photo editor
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Jul 12 05:15:31 2006

Two major trends are going on to kill newspapers.  First, the basic literacy
rate is declining substantially, many citizens just can not read even at an
eighth grade level: as a subset go into the archives of the NYT and read
what was written fifty years ago, they assumed a much wider vocabulary and a
grasp of more advanced literary devices.  Second, is the huge growth of
information sources available from all directions; radio during commute
times,  Internet connections at work and home, smart phones, podcasts, and
probably other sources.

Also, established companies rarely make the jump to new outgrowths of their
dominate market.  Western Union didn't go into telephony,  the phone
companies didn't go into cable, the railroad companies didn't go into
automobiles, the movie companies didn't go into television in the early
days.  In the rare cases where the large see possibilities in new directions
they frequently botch the project witness IBM in PC's.  Defined the product
but failed to take control.

Established newspapers then could not be expected to make the jump into
cyber-reporting successfully.  Success is defined as making a profit from
the venture.  A hysterically funny outgrowth of this thought train is that
the talk show hosts are making money from their subscription services that
link loyal listeners to an extended version of what they hear on the radio.
I would pay rather a lot for an extended version of the days news that
doesn't fit in two columns and 500 words.

0.02 cents

Don
don.dory@gmail.com