Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica's rivals
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Jul 13 19:41:46 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Richard wrote:

> Leica's rivals are not Canon, Nikon etc. They lost it in the 60s. Their
> "rival" is to convince photographers that there is a place for
> rangefinder
> photography, and in that niche market, other digital rangefinder
> makers,
> which currently consist of one company that in 2 years, have sold less
> than
> 10,000 cameras (R-D1). It is a small market folks.

Surely you jest. Compared to Canon and Nikon, Leica is no more than a
flea on an elephant. As for losing it in the 60s, it was Leica that was
the loser. In 1963 Leica dominated the expensive 35 mm camera market,
selling nearly four times as many cameras as Nikon. By 1966 the SLR
emerged as the preferred camera form and Nikon's sales were half again
greater than Leica's and Canon's sales were growing fast. Both
companies read the tea leaves (financial reports), abandoned the RF
camera and never looked back. I agree that the RF market was so small
that only one niche player could survive, and that on a marginal basis.
If there is a place for RF film cameras it is disappearing as fast as
the ice in my gin and tonic in today's 90 degree weather.  Except for a
few of us nostalgia loving old farts, the Leica film camera's day is
over. The digital M means that even Leica agrees.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Re: Leica's rivals)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Re: Leica's rivals)