Subject: [Leica] Re: Banning the professional
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Jul 16 07:49:25 2006

On Jul 16, 2006, at 12:17 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> And the ridiculous assumption of the bureaucrats who think everyone
> who is a
> professional makes thousands of dollars from their pile of rocks? Bull
> shit!
>
> Get real Frank, it isn't TV! It's real life!
>
> ted

Frank, Ted - Can't we just get along?

My wife, a curator of a major art gallery, assures me that the
directors of museums and historic sites are not trying to ban
professional photographers, as such. They are trying to ban TRIPODS and
flashes, a practice encouraged by their insurance companies. Tripods
interfere with the flow of patrons to the site and constitute a safety
hazard. The rule of thumb assumption is that a professional uses a
tripod, the amateur does not. The professional, setting up a tripod and
clearing a field of view for his picture, effectively "ropes" off that
area from the public. The fees are set unrealistically high in order to
discourage anyone from paying them. As you discovered, most museums
will allow casual photography, even by "professionals." Art museums
tend to restrict the use of flash even though there is little evidence
that it damages paintings.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: Banning the professional)