Subject: [Leica] "I'm an Endangered Species."
From: ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben)
Date: Sun Jul 23 07:21:41 2006

Hi TED

I am a publisher and have publsihed many high quality books on
photography mostly with the priority with in artistic photography but
also some books on photo journalisme.

Publishing something on the Internet does not always mean that you can
not publish it later in bookform - sometimes you will see that a web
page or a blog have followers/fans that will be more then happy to own
the project in bookform - makes the marketing easier

Doing a book though - you will have to prioritize the things the web can
not do - print in the best possible quality - make the book a functional
object that communicates with the user in a way the web can not.

Make it something that you must have when first you have picked it up -
hook up with designer or someone who really knows the how to optimize
printing and at the same time can give the book typographic layout the
does not try to overshine your work but indeed compliments it.

Should you get closer to a publishing deal you are more then welcome to
contact me for a good advise

I currently do not publish books on photography because the market in
Denmark is very small and we were actually loosing a lot on doing so BUT
the years we did actually made our other books look even better because
of the experience we got from printing art photogrphy. Many of our
photographic books whon prizes and later many of our books with in art/
arts and crafts and design has been awarded.

We did do one book once in BW - not in mono - not in duplex/triplex but
in sixplex(no such word :-)) 2 blacks and 4 greys - sixcolourprinting
and laquer - that was a challange and a situation where the printer said
no way at first - and first after I took full responsibility he agreed
to to the job- he was amazed afterwords !

good luck with your project

kind regards

Ruben

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] "I'm an Endangered Species." BOOK & stories)