Subject: [Leica] OT auto focus tip
From: roy at detroitphotographic.com (Roy Feldman)
Date: Mon Jul 24 05:49:30 2006

With auto focus the center square is usuallly the most sensitive as the
focus points are measured in two directions.
With all nikon cameras and I believe most canons (the used to both have the
same menu function # for this) it is possible to disable the shutter
auto-focus activation and just enable it with a button on the back
only.Alot of press shooters use this because...;.I use center spot,
hit back
button...it focuses, recompose....shoot, the focus will remain at the spot
where you did the first center spot reading.
This way of shooting takes a bit of practice but I shoot sports for a major
newspaper and all the photogs here do it this way.
Like I said you have to try it out but once you get used to it you won't use
any thing else, nothing worse than focusing, then composing and having the
AF start focusing on the background, this way it is locked where you put it
without having to hold in a locus lock button, it is focus locked by default

--
Roy Feldman, photojournalism & editorial photography

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr) ([Leica] OT auto focus tip)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT auto focus tip)