Subject: [Leica] OT autofocus
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon Jul 24 08:46:29 2006

Roy Feldman <roy@detroitphotographic.com> wrote:

> D.H. <I can see how AF can be vital where composition is
>secondary to getting the picture.  For me, composition IS the picture.>
>Ouch that hurt. I'm used to that way because thats how M series work and of
>course; with all the pictures shot with M's, composition always takes a back
>seat :)

Apologies, Roy.  I fear I've used a blunt axe where a scalpel would have
sufficed :-)

I do feel that the productive value of the whatever tools and techniques we
use should be taken in the context of our photographic goals: illustrating a
product for an industrial catalog, illustrating a product for a consumer
advertising campaign, recording a news-worthy event, recording personal
events, etc.... and that no tool or technology suits all tasks equally well.

I get particulary worked up about automation of various kinds because its
virtues are trumpeted on virtually every internet forum while its
shortcomings are glossed over, or kludges worthy of Rube Goldberg are
accepted as S.O.P. where simple manual control with a smidgen of neuron
excersize would provide a more effective solution.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com