Subject: [Leica] Digital M mount camera speculation
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jul 25 08:02:32 2006

On 7/25/06 8:43 AM, "Didier Ludwig" <rangefinder@screengang.com> typed:

> Hoppy
>
> The retrofocal design of the ZM lenses has always been a clear and loud
> hint
> for a rather likely Zeiss Ikon D-rangefinder. I go even  further and
> pretend,
> Zeiss would not have created the ZM lens line for film, only.
>
> I believe they will wait until it can be done with an appropriate fullframe
> sensor. Count Cosina and Mister Kobayashi-San to be on the ship, too, once
> this operation takes off.
>
> Didier

As the Zeiss lineup for the zm's are Biogons
Distagon 15mm/2,8
Biogon 21mm/2,8
Biogon 25mm/2.8
Biogon 28mm/2.8
Biogon 35mm/2.0
Planar 50mm/2.0
Biogon 28mm/2.8

Not Distagon, the implication is that they are non retrofocal true wide
angle designs with glass extending right back to the film plane or darned
close to it as real wide angles will do. Not that Zeiss might not be
suckered into Kodak like marketing and even Leica will use terms "Elmar" on
a 2.8 when it had been determined to mean 3.5.
Kodak as we know makes Tri-X film, paper and the famous Tri-X digital lens
cases.

I think some of these Biogons be not Biogons but a Distagon by another name.
But at least one or two of the expensive made in Germany by real Germans
units are the real non retrofocal McCoy's. Of which I'm partial. I'm not
sure if I own a non retrofocal lens. I think I don't. But I'll figure out
how to get around that one of these days it wound be by the Hasselblad
superwide route. Probably a 21 super Angulon for an m body.