Subject: [Leica] OT: Rollei XF35
From: Bartphotog at aol.com (Bartphotog@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 13:46:27 2006

In a message dated 7/25/06 8:54:47 AM, lists@sololeicas.com writes:

<< I am in the market for a small, manual, p&s style of camera,

and the XF35 (or its Voigtl?nder sibling, the VF35) seemed

interesting due to no shutter lag because of a slow AF system, and

their huge, when compared to other more modern PS, viewfinders. >>

I suppose it goes without saying on this site, but have you looked at the
somewhat older Canon G-III, QL17 and it's non-QL and 1.9-lensed relatives?
It
has a sharp f/1.7 (or 1.9) lens, a very creditable, quite bright, fully
parallax
corrected, viewfinder with split-image rangefinder, an exceptionally quiet
leaf shutter, and either shutter speed preferred automatic or manual
exposure.
They can routinely be had in the $100 neighborhood or less, I think.  The
fly
in the ointment is that they take the now largely unavailable mercury
batteries, but they can be converted to available types, and batteries last
forever!
I love mine - it's what got me enthused enough about RF shooting to finally
break down and buy a used M6 and a couple lenses.

Bart