Subject: [Leica] German as a second language
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Jul 28 08:19:38 2006

Going to Germany September 28 for the Leica Historical Society of America
annual meeting  to revel in all things Leica both past (Wetzlar) and present
(Solms). Also the future to check out Photokina the biggest photo trade show
which happens every other year at the Cologne Exhibition Center, Cologne
Germany. As we happened to be in the neighborhood I sure never thought I'd
see this deal!!!
Where K?lsch ("Colognian") is spoken.
On the map is seems to be a stones throw to the west of Wetzlar about the
same distance as Solms is on the right (east). Maybe I'll walk. In
Lederhosen. Just as long as they don't have German mosquitoes biting my bare
kneecaps.

But my question or thought is...
I always thought people were stupid when they visited some place and made no
effort to learn some of the language.
So with a couple of months advance notice I figured with the internet and
all I'd make an effort to learn some German and not be a hypocrite. As I
took the Hypocritical oath. I already learned some in forth grade.
Was ist Das?  Das ist ein Mann!!
And that's as far as I go; or went.
German through pictures. Stick figures. I wonder if those are still around?

So my thought is in this age of interactive internet stuff, DVD's and CD's
we've progressed past these stick figures. what's the smart way to pick up
another language? Which site? Which DVD or optical disk? Ear implant?
Contact lens? Can you pickup the internet on your laptop on the airplane?
I've only had mine a few months and not traveled yet.
Should I carry a laptop with me and just Babblefish everything? :)

Mork in New York

Location: Extended StayAmerica White Plains - Elmsford, NY  10523

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] German as a second language)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] German as a second language)