Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: DSLR advice....Leica glass on 20D
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon Jul 31 18:31:44 2006

Ken,
Don't spring for the Canon AF 50 1.4.  Pick up a Nikon/EOS adapter and use
one of the Ai Nikkors.  Used 1.4's can be had for not much especially if the
barrel is somewhat worn and they are a much better value than the Canon 50
1.4.  If you are shooting in low light then focusing at 1.4 to 2.8 will not
be a problem.  Alternatively, check out a Zeiss C/Y mount 1.4 Planer also
available for not much if you shop around, especially for the 1-4 meter
range the Zeiss lens is beyond compare in SLR mounts.  Also, check out the
Canon 35 F2, very small, very cheap, and on a APS sensor camera very good
indeed.

As to the stabilized lenses, they are a mixed bag.  If you are shooting
things that don't move much then a stabilised lens will give you possibly
three or four shutter speeds(using a 100mm equivalent at 1/15 to 1/8).  If
you are shooting folks that are moving around you don't gain much as the
arms, feet, and mouth will be blurred.

The 17-85 is a good zoom roughly equivalent to a 28-135 in 35mm terms.  But
it is slow at F4 and in fast moving events I find zooms in fact slow me down
as I am composing with the zoom instead of knowing what the lens will do and
moving into position.  On the other hand, a zoom is invaluable when you have
time to fine tune a composition by tweaking the focal length just a mm or
two.

0.02

Don
don.dory@gmail.com