Subject: [Leica] re: charlotte observer fires dude for changing the sky
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Aug 1 19:42:23 2006

But there's an easy solution to this - and that is for the photographer to
tell the editor, when he turns in the image, that he corrected the
inaccurate raw file to produce the image he saw. That would have avoided
this problem, because then the editor could have said, 'if you didn't get
it, you didn't get it.' Or he could have said -'thanks for letting me know.'
I have to say that looking at that image, I doubt it's what he saw - I
suspect that it is, instead, what he wishes he saw.

The real irony here is that in an era in which journalism standards overall
are going - or have gone - to hell, the standards for photojournalism are
getting more strict than they've ever been. But PS makes it so easy to
stretch the photographic 'truth,' the only way to maintain any standards is
to set the standards very high. The Washington Times, which is not much of a
newspaper, has it right on this one:
Outside their digital 'darkroom' they reportedly have a sign which reads
something like, "If you couldn't do it in the darkroom, you can't do it
here."