Subject: [Leica] Re: Consensus on external hard drives
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Wed Aug 2 12:07:48 2006

> Watch out for the Lacie 500GB external hard drives.  Mine totally
> failed just after the warranty ran out.  I had nothing to lose so I
> took the case apart to find two Maxtor 250GB hard drives inside.  I
> hooked them up separately, reformatted them, and they've been working
> since.  I lost everything since I had to reformat, but it was all
> backed up.  Lots of reports of failures with the 500GB Lacie.  It
> seems that the bridge connecting the two drives is what fails.
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
> http://www.tinamanley.com

My Lacie external hard disk stopped working last week with the pictures
of last two years. Including my granddaughter pictures. Technicians are
trying to save the disk but I'm afraid every image is lost. I'll be
right now making with next pictures the backup of the backup of the backup.

Regards.

Felix