Subject: [Leica] Vertical Breakfast
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Aug 2 17:46:18 2006

At 06:09 PM 8/2/2006, you wrote:
>That is, if you're going for a pitiless
>depiction of poverty, which may not serve.
>Arche

Arche -   This is a very hard call for me.  I don't want to depress
everybody with photos of abject poverty, but my purpose in the slide
shows is to raise money for self-development organizations.  I
usually start with some photos to show the actual conditions;
otherwise, nobody will get it.  I have people who ask "Why should I
give money to programs in Central America when there is need here in
our community?"  Half of the money we raise stays in local hunger
relief agencies but, unless they have actually been to developing
countries, most people have no idea that poverty and hunger here
don't begin to compare to poverty and hunger in Central America.  The
only way I know to show that, short of taking them with me, is to
show these photos.  I try to end the slide shows with hope, showing
projects that are working to "teach them to fish" so that people
understand that what they give will actually make a difference.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] Vertical Breakfast)