Subject: [Leica] Interesting 50mm variation (eBay shame?)
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Aug 3 13:00:42 2006

Ric,

There is no guarantee. As Hoppy (I think it was him) wrote, you just
need to be comfortable with the deal. If a seller has been around for a
long time, has a good feedback rating, responds to your questions in a
way that is credible, then there is little to fear. It is not necessary
to look for people with hundreds of transactions. In all modesty, take a
look at my feedback (I am belgian_gator on ebay). Only 26 transactions,
but 100% rating, I have been a member since 1998, am not located in a
country known for dodgy sellers, etc. Those are some of the things to
look for. If the person has hundreds of transactions, even better, but
don't overlook occasional sellers like me who just use ebay occasionally.

Do avoid auctions where the item description is in all CAPS, uses
marketing hyperbole, does not sound right etc. NEVER pay using Western
Union or other similar cash-like method; stick to Paypal or bank
transfers (the nice thing about the latter is that the seller has to
provide you with his real name and address). There are some buyer
protection services offered by ebay, but there is so much small print
that claiming money would be very difficult; far better to rely on your
intuition and doing some research.

Nathan