Subject: [Leica] Another Altered Photo
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon Aug 7 11:28:14 2006

On 7 Aug 2006 at 13:40, John Sluss wrote:

> Seems like this gentleman that altered the photograph was making an
> editorial comment, or perhaps propaganda. His photograph should have been
> on
> the editorial page.

I'm going to trot WAY out onto this limb here, with the same evidence
everyone else on the list has (which is to say no evidence at all
except this explanation makes sense to me personally), and say that I
suspect this was probably more marketing than editorial.

Look, the guy's a stringer for a major service in the middle of a
MAJOR event.  There are probably a couple of hundred other major
shooters there, probably a fair number standing within a few meters
of him when he got this, all shooting merrily away at the same
skyline with the same smoke.  And so one of two things happens...
either before or after this shot, there's a moment or two when
there's honestly more smoke in the sky -- and he missed the shot (but
a bunch of the other guys with bigger cards and batteries got it) OR
he knows everyone else has pretty much the same thing he's got.

Thing is, if you're freelance, if you're in the same place as the
bigfoots and you DON'T get stuff as good as they do (especially in
situations like this that are probably fairly simple shots with
comparatively low risk) you get no more phone calls, especially if
you're tied to one of the major wires.  And if you don't have BETTER
than the staffers and the contract guys have,  you don't sell much in
today's world, because the OTHER guys' work is already paid for and
you're an extra expense.

So he's got to have at LEAST as good as theirs to keep his string,
and better than theirs to get much in reuse in those conditions, and,
well,  what's a desperate, on-the-edge-of-nowhere stringer to do?
"Well, it WAS like this two minutes later; nobody'll know..."

And I suspect that if his laptop were better his shot probably
wouldn't look that much different from everyone else's....

And nobody would know he was a fake and a liar.  With the right
connections he could even run for the presidency in most places...

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Replies: Reply from jsluss at hughes.net (John Sluss) ([Leica] Another Altered Photo)