Subject: [Leica] Pentax K100D
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Aug 8 18:22:28 2006

Richard,
The new Pentax's have a slightly different body and the feel is a lot more
substantial.  Focus is possibly 50% faster and it appears that they have
worked on the 3200 ISO noise so that it is less noticable than on the
*istDL.  The viewfinder has a good ground glass such that focusing the 35mm
F3.5 was not any problem whatsoever and the focus confirmation was
pleasant(This was using the kit lens on MF)  I still like the AA battery
power as you can use rechargeables, lithiums, cheap at the corner store, or
the very expensive CR-2's.  After watching the Nikon crowd in search or
ENEL-3e's have a ready source of power is a good thing.  Full disclosure
would include the fact that I am amasing a nice assortment of Super Tacky's
in advance of purchasing one of these puppies.  I just found one of the
radioactive 35mm F2's in very clean shape for a song and does it cut
negatives.

As to the Sony Alpha, I am reasonably unimpressed.  This could have a lot to
do with the control sequence which for me is clunky.  You might love
it. But, the body felt flimsy, the focus was not special, the viewfinder was
hard to manually focus, and I don't like the Minolta flash shoe.  Obviously
you will need to handle one yourself as I had a very strong negative
reaction which is probably just me.  Of course I get along fine with Canon,
Leica, Nikon, Panasonic, Pentax, Exacta, Topcon, Contax, Hasselblad, Fuji,
Rollei....  :)

Don
don.dory@gmail.com