Subject: [Leica] Hand Baggage - Three Questions
From: TTAbrahams at aol.com (TTAbrahams@aol.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 14:09:00 2006

I  never check in luggage so  have not had any experience with baggage
handlers in terminals around the world. When travelling I use only
carry-on-luggage. IF I would have to check in  bags I would  want to have
assurance (and
insurance) from whatever Airport Authority that  deals with it that it is
treated
in such a manner that my stuff is intact at the  other end.
Losing  luggage is usually not the airlines fault; it is the departure or
arrivals  airport that screws it up. Theft from checked luggage occurs at
the
luggage  handling end of the business. It is not that easy to steal
something
while it is  in the hold of an aircraft. One way of ensuring that they treat
the
stuff well  is to present the check-in guys with a detailed list of
equipment
to be  checked; serial numbers, and type of equipment and cost of
replacement
and have  them sign it. This would force the airline to put pressure on the
relevant  Airport Authority to handle it in a responsible manner and also
hold
them liable  for theft or damage to the full extent of the value! You can
put
anything on a  ticket limiting liability but in the end they are responsible
for both you and  your luggage! The ticket constitutes a contract between
the
carrier, the airport  and you to deliver you to the assigned destination in
safe manner within the  parameters stated on the travel document.
The  biggest problem will be the heavy dose of x-ray that checked luggage is
subject  to. It will fog film and packing the film in lead-bags only
increases
the chance  of the handlers opening the bag to inspect the 'blobs" that show
on the  screen - or boosting the level of x-ray used. I carry my film in
clear
plastic  Zip-loc bags, no paper-boxes and no plastic containers - just the
film. Until  now I have never had a problem with this and if the travel does
not
involve  multiple airports I have not had any fogging of my Tri-X.
Yes,  we  all want to travel safely but  also want both airlines and
airports
to  treat us decently. Without us they would not have jobs and they are a
service  industry after all. As passengers we have rights and
responsibilities
too and if we co-operate with each other travel should be possible in a
smooth
manner. Make theft from checked in luggage a federal offence with a  minimum
sentence in jail of at least 3 years and have IATA apply this to every
airport that they control and in case of unwillingness to comply - remove
them  from
the air transport network.
Air  travel always involved a bit of hassle and discomfort, but it is
getting
to the  point where one weighs the necessities of it with "is it worth the
bother and  expense" and stay home instead. If enough of us do that there
will
be fewer  airlines, fewer airports and far more incentive to treat
passengers
as paying  customers rather than inconvenient interruptions to their work!
Tom  A
Tom  Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC
Canada