Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital image longevity
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Mon Aug 14 13:15:50 2006

Larry,

I don't disagree that digital storage media can last decades.  My point was
that so much interesting history depends on inadvertent, rather than
intentional preservation.  For a serious photographer, such as Ted or Tina
or Kyle, who wants to leave behind a cataloged legacy of images, digital
media is just fine, so long as it's preserved in a form that can be
retrieved.

Inadvertent preservation is when you find things that were not intended to
be saved, such as the images stuck away in a shoebox, or heaved into the
local dumpster.  Much of what I treasure, such as this week's image, was
indeed dumpster fodder.  The fact that I could SEE IT easily at the dump
spelled the difference between a shared memory and oblivion.

In fifty years, if I came across a pile of CD-Rs in the old-fashioned jpeg
format, and if I happened to have a disk reader, and if I felt like buying
an unlabeled disk without looking at the contents, then an ephemeral digital
image might stand a chance of rediscovery.  However, more than likely the
neat ephemeral image wound up in a long-junked computer hard drive, or
deleted from a long-ago disposed digital camera.

Best,
Jim