Subject: [Leica] Re: File format converting
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Aug 15 10:35:49 2006

Hmmm - I'm not sure I'm in complete agreement with you assessment of
storage solutions. I'm STUNNED that your 8 track magnetic tapes became
unreadable so quickly. Stored properly, rewound periodically etc
magnetic tapes are pretty decent although their storage density isn't
nearly what one can cram onto a DVD these days.

Of the floppy disk varieties only the 8" would give me difficulty
mounting. 5" drives are common and all varieties of 3.5" are still
common. On my Mac I can still read original versions of Mac software
written for the "512k Fat Mac". CDs of all ilks don't seem to be a
problem and I don't anticipate them being a problem since the
specification for all optical media which has come afterward have
reading CDs as a part of backwards compatibility.