Subject: [Leica] Digital image longevity
From: Engl6914 at cableone.net (Lee England)
Date: Tue Aug 15 19:49:22 2006

Don Dory wrote:

> Now, negatives (color) are a different issue. The dyes in negatives will
> not
> last a half century unless you store them in the proverbial cool, dry,
> dark,
> space.

Don,
I'm under the impression black and white negatives, in my case HP5 Plus,
will last considerably longer than color negatives.  Is that so, as far as
you know?  Is there anything known about the longevity of B&W negatives?
I know that glass plate negatives taken in the 19th century here in Natchez
have survived fine, even left out on a back porch with rain from
thunderstorms sometimes blowing on them.  I don't know about the B&W
negatives on celluloid, but tend to think they would probably last the same
as the glass plate negatives.

Lee England
Natchez, Mississippi

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Digital image longevity)