Subject: [Leica] Re: Marked lenses
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Aug 16 07:59:41 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 10:43 PM, Hoppy wrote:

> If you have a choice between two similar lenses, one cheaper but
> with some
> marks that may not affect the output significantly and one pristine
> but more
> expensive, which one do you buy (to use or collect)?

For years we were told that bubbles were a mark of quality lens glass
and would not affect the quality of the image. When I worked on a
newspaper our equipment was tossed haphazardly into camera bags and
actual gouges on front lens elements were common. They only caused
flair when shooting towards the light without a lens shade. None of
Ted's nonsense about shooting from the shadow side. Real men took
pictures from straight on using a #6 flashbulb. Our photo techs
"corrected" the worst gouges by applying a drop of black paint. It
eliminated the flair at the cost of a miniscule loss in speed. But
they had a real horror of using a dry lens tissue to clean the front
element. The faint spiderweb of scratches from vigorous cleaning was
just like using a soft filter. It made it much harder to get the
crisp, high contrast pictures that the newspaper liked.

Larry Z