Subject: [Leica] needs color
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu Aug 17 15:44:14 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Walt Johnson wrote:

> Steve
>
> I photographed the young boy at a traveling religious/med clinic on
> an island off the coast of Haiti. His mother brought him to the
> clinic   because he was (as I'm sure you can tell) in bad shape.
> The group of well-meaning but medically inept people were treating
> various disorders including giving out meds. All I know about these
> situations comes from first aid training in the Marines, years of
> being married to an R.N. and the much maligned common sense. In
> other words, not much.
>
> This boy was  having respiratory problems (learned that from
> watching House, MD) and when I mentioned how serious he seemed they
> prayed for him. They also gave him worm medicine, which worked
> better than the prayers. It killed him. ( I think).

Walt, how soon thereafter did he die?  He looks to have severe edema,
I wonder about renal failure (nephrotic syndrome) ... also ?
petechiae/purpura... if he died rather quickly maybe from sepsis
(pneumococcus) secondary to the ?  nephrotic syndrome....

a guess, but a definite maybe...

> His mother told us he had been eating dirt

? pica....could be secondary to malnutrition...? but a risk for lots
of things...

maybe a stretch from looking at your photo... conceiveable...

Steve