Subject: [Leica] Re:New Orleans 1 Year Later
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sun Aug 27 09:15:15 2006

The Liuzza's on Bienville is back open (although Mercy Hospital across the
street is still vacant and shuttered). Mr. Ed's in Bucktown completely
rebuilt after Katrina only to burn to the ground. The same thing happened to
the Brown Derby on Freret...completely rebuilt after Katrina only to burn to
the ground. Coffee and Company on Harrison looks like it did after the water
receded. It is apparently going to reopen at some time as a Starbucks
(eccch!). Charlie's Deli on Harrison is reopened as Touch?s (with a new
owner). It was doing well for a while, but business has gone downhill since
the National Guard stopped eating there.

Rebuilding is sporatic. Most places aren't rebuilding. The large strip mall
at West End and Robert E. Lee (where the Robert E. Lee Theater stands) is
completely deserted. Most of Canal street on the lake side of Claiborne is
still deserted.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com