Subject: [Leica] the operating room...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Aug 27 15:58:04 2006

Steve Barbour showed & asked:
> images from the operating room...
>
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-95638.html
> http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-95639.html<<<

Steve you know how hard this is for me to answer, but here goes for both
photographs. :-)

> http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-95638.html<<<

I think you should've tried for the "eyes" and forget the hand coming across
with the instrument out of focus. Although?

The better would've been to have the hand in focus as it's closer to the
camera and let the scrub nurse go soft in the back ground. Unless you had an
absolute clean shot at her eyes! Certainly not an easier shot to say the
least.

But she would've reached through the camera area several times and all you
had to do was concentrate on the hand and shoot several until you had it
right.

Look in my book I know you have,  "This is Our Work" plate 53 where I shot
at least a dozen frames as I tried to get the hand of the surgeon as it
passed between the OR light and my camera.

Or for those of you with "Doctor's Work." it's page 169.

This kind of picture is like shooting sports because it happens over and
over, so you go for the action of the hand until you feel you have it right
on the mark.

> http://www.leica-gallery.net/barbour/image-95639.html<<<

This is a tough call when you compare some of the hand pictures in "This is
Our Work" and "Doctors Work."

What I'm visually fighting here is the sharpness of the hand closest to you
and the "brighter" slightly out of focus bkgd hand. I might have tried
burning in the back ground hand. And that might yet be the easiest.

ted

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] the operating room...)