Subject: [Leica] Re: Disney quarter
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Aug 29 12:03:42 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 10:53 AM, lScott wrote:

> Yuck! I can't think of anything worse than the "Disneyfication"
> of the Quarter.
>
> My memory of the first time eating a big plate of crawfish was
> in a bar somewhere on the edge of the Quarter where the locals
> seemed to be mostly leather clad homosexuals (I presume there
> were several gay bars in the vicinity).  A terrific memory!
> Opened my eyes, something fresh and new to a young lad.

I always thought that the French Quarter was an adult Disneyland.

But on a serious note, the Dutch engineering firm that designed the
dikes and sea surge gates of the Netherlands says that New Orleans
could be protected to the same standards as Holland for 10 billion
dollars. According to the firm, the Netherlands sea protection is
expected to withstand storms significantly more intense than a Cat. 5
hurricane. Fire the Levee Commission and the Corps of Engineers and
hire the Dutch. The fee will be only 10% of the 100 billion allocated
for the rebuilding of the city.

But the Dutch are honest. Who would get the graft?

Larry Z