Subject: [Leica] New gallery up PM David be Gurion
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Aug 31 09:20:06 2006

Peter Dzwig offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] New gallery up

> Great stuff Ted. I like that picture of Ben-Gurion, it captures the man<<

http://gallery2.leica-users.org/v/leicated/Israel+Prime+Minister+David+ben+Gurion.jpg.html

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the compliment on Prime Minister David ben Gurion. Usually people
respond about "my portrait studio and what a wonderful portrait... it kind
of looks like a Karsh portrait." Obviously I'm very flattered and humbled
when it's put in that vernacular.

However, the "Portrait studio" was a room in the Parliament building where I
was during an interview with the Prime Minister by several reporters and a
TV camera.

My first re-action as always was to the light and getting to the " shoot
from the shadow side." Next important thing.... "do not shoot while the
subject is speaking!" Bad! They screw-up their face and in particular their
mouth.

Always wait for the moment when the subject is intently listening to a
question as it shows in the eyes. We as humans listen with our eyes.... but
hear with our ears! And it shows!

Karsh did this quite often to speak softly to make his subjects make every
effort to hear him, therefore they listened more intently adding to the eye
/ face expression and concentration.

Besides they tend to sit very still in most moments of this nature while
concentrating. Adding the opportunity to use a normal film speed without
pushing the film to 1600 or higher. And heaven forbid one would use a twinky
light flashing on and off disturbing the interview.

Besides the natural light is so beautiful why would one bother even
considering a twinky flash? :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] New gallery up Leopoldville)
Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] New gallery up Leopoldville)