Subject: [Leica] Harvard tuition
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Sep 1 06:49:41 2006

Well glad to know how you really feel, Scott. ;-)

Not only didn't I say I wouldn't keep them away from Harvard, I said I
thought it was one of about three places that was worth the investment. And
I didn't say I wouldn't support them in whatever they chose to do - I have
told all my kids that. But 'what you chose to do' and 'what college you
think you want to go to' are two different things, because ANY half decent
undergrad program can be an excellent spring board for whatever a kid wants
to do. If a parent doesn't have the $40 K for the lovely little liberal arts
college - or Princeton - and can only send the kid by going deep into debt,
or saddling the kid with debt (which I personally think is far, far, far
more ludicrous and cruel than limiting college choice - because in far too
many cases that debt burden limits later life/career choices) I think it's
personally reasonable to say 'this is what I'll pay for.'