Subject: [Leica] What I did last night
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Sat Sep 2 07:04:42 2006

In a message dated 9/2/2006 8:40:55 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
r.s.taylor@comcast.net writes:

Nice  shots Sonny. Are they all ISO 1600?  The
noise seems very well  controlled.  Did you do any
noise reduction?

Can you say a bit  about your overall experience
with the K100D, too?  I looked at one a  couple of
weeks ago and may pick one up myself.

----------
All of the inside shots are at 1600.  The church very dimly lit except  at
the altar.  I had to use neat image on a couple shots, but it didn't  need
much.

The K100D is an extremely compact camera, and shooting with the 28 2.8,
handles much like an M. I also have the pancake 40 f2.8 which makes for an
even
smaller package.  The 18-55 kit lens is quite nice as far as I take  it.  Of
course I have that same lens for my ist Ds, and both lenses  are  pretty
good
samples.  I haven't made large prints from full  frame, so I can't speak to
edge
sharpness.

BTW, the ist Ds now resides on the shoulder of Eric Jon.

I am impressed by the anti-shake; it really gives me at least an extra stop
in shutter speed.  Most of the shots were shot in the 1/15th range except
those at the altar where it was way up to 1/30th.  The two communion shots
were
at 1/10th handheld.   The camera responds quickly with no  noticeable
shutter
lag, unless it needs to struggle to gain focus. It takes the  anti-shake a
heartbeat to get in sync with the focus.

I think for most things like the installation, I'll use it instead of the
Fuji 1600 Natura.  I wish I had had the luxury of shooting both last night,
but
I really wanted to be as discreet as possible in order to not spoil the
lovely ceremony.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com