Subject: [Leica] Am I wasting my time/money?
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sat Sep 2 18:58:54 2006

Sure, that's a fine decision.

But your test film shot, IMHO, was 100% operator error.  I'll
speculate that your technique was equally sloppy with the Sony,
but the enhanced DOF made it come out looking sharp - but
maybe not. Doesn't really matter.

Taking a brutally sharp picture of a railing or whatever it was
isn't hard to do - with any camera.  We're talking point, focus,
shoot here - nothing fancy.

Scanning a sharp neg on a home film scanner so that the
resulting scan looks sharp - we're talking Web JPEG's in your
test, after all - is equally easy to accomplish.

All the other advice I've read on this thread - using a tripod,
mirror lock, stopping way down, using a drum scanner -
are all cool, but overkill for the simple test result you displayed.

Again, a fine decision.  But those two *particular* photo's I saw
were the basis for no *rational* decision, *should* one be
concerned at all with making such a "film vs. digital" decision.
(I, for one, am not).

Enjoy shooting digital.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott