Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 32, Issue 469
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Sun Sep 3 15:29:52 2006

> There is, obviously, a firmware difference between the Nikon and
> Leica digital cameras/backs. I like the colouring of  both, though
> the DMR seems to be closer to a Kodachrome... more muted colours
> than,say, Fujichrome, but a wee bit more accurate, too.
>
> But the HUGE difference is that every APS-C format digital SLR out of
> Japan has an Anti-Alaising filter, to reduce Moire patterns in the
> photos.  The DMR, in keeping with it's MF format heritage (it was
> designed my Imacon - the big 6x6 camera back maker), does not have
> one, and used software to solve the problem, if need be.  As AA
> filters work by making the final image a bit "fuzzier" (for lack of a
> better word) the DMR will deliver much finer detail than any of the
> Japanese DSLRs - pixel for pixel.
>
> As a result, the DMR is most often compared with the 16 mpixel Canon
> 1DS MkII, in terms of resolution.  Not bad for a 10.2 mpixel camera back.
> :-)
>
> And, of course, the DMR accepts Leica glass. True, the Canon's will
> do that, with an appropriate adapter, but only with stop down
> metering and no auto-diaphragm.
>
> And when you compare the 1 DS MkII, to the Leica R9 with DMR, even
> new, the Leica is not a lot more, so I'm not sure cost enters into an
> "apples to apples" comparison.
First of all thanks David for your complete and kind answer to such a
short question. Nevertheless I'm not absolutely convinced. I own, and
use, both a EOS 1Ds MkII and a R8, every one with their set of
corresponding lenses. The normal step should have been buying the DMR,
but hearing other user   and testers opinions I've seen that the lack of
anti aliasing filter produces unsurprisingly *aliasing*. On the other
hand apparent resolution is slightly different to real resolution and
the differences of color between the Kodak (Leica) sensor and the Canon
one ( or BTW the Nikon  as I own too a D200)  are for me exactly *that*:
color differences, as *none* of both are accurate and I need to work
with then in PS. So I'm better awaiting  the new EOS 1Ds MkIII or
whatever it could be called and, meanwhile, follow shooting *film* with
my nice R8. Besides I feel equally comfortable with Leica, Nikon and
Canon SLR finders but I rarely use long teles and more frequently wides.
My problem could be -besides my horrible English- that perhaps I am not
enough exigent photographer  to shoot nothing but Leica gear.

Thanks again.David.

Felix