Subject: [Leica] Crocodile Hunter (OT)
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Sep 4 15:35:19 2006

Jeffery and Sonny, we live about an hour from Steve Irwin's large crocodile
park and zoo. Locally and even nationally people reacted with great
surprise, then tended to think that he had died while doing what he loved.
The state's largest circulation newspaper has a full colour front page photo
and no less than eight pages of tribute. Even national papers have large
coverage. Television channels are rushing tributes into production.
Clearly a slow news week. I am constantly amazed at the frenzy on something
like this when it captures the public imagination.
Even the Prime Minister and state Premier made television appearances
mourning his death. Looming elections might be a factor.

Regarding the accident itself, he was at sea filming a show on deadly sea
creatures and was sadly caught by the defensive reaction of a large, non-
aggressive animal. Very very unlucky. Frankly I am very surprised that he
has not been hurt or killed previously, not by the crocodiles but by a
poisonous snake. We have some of the most toxic in the world and he has
taken what look to be appalling risks quite often.

Regards,
Hoppy