Subject: [Leica] Which camera would you NOT CARRY IN YER POCKET
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Sep 5 22:30:36 2006

ted said:
>> I put an M on my left shoulder and I feel no different. It's part  of my
>> attire. Actually I feel undressed if it isn't there. And the  strap is
>> set specifically to allow the camera to come up to my left  eye and go
>> "click!" And down before anyone realizes I've done it.;-)<<<

Ric Carter asked:
> why left?
> > left eyed?

Hi Ric,
that's the only eye that works! ;-) The right eye just goes along for the
ride!;-)

Besides it goes beyond bad eye good eye to when we used Speed Graphics with
big Multiblitz strobes with battery/power packs that weighed a ton usually
carried on the left shoulder.

Much like some folks have a dominant left eye, no different some folks have
a dominant right eye. They also have a dominant shoulder they'll carry
things on.

I've always carried my camera gear bag on the left shoulder. So it's
automatic for the single M to go on the left shoulder.

In my case depending what I was shooting, sometimes I'd be working with 3
M's off my neck, stacked one above the other so they didn't bang together.
Usually top to bottom 21-35-50, 35-50-90 or 21-28-50. Two motor driven R's
on the left shoulder and one R off the right shoulder. Most often all the
same film but different lenses.

However one should always keep in mind.... "Never carry more gear than you
can run with!" :-) And yes many a time I had to run with all that stuff and
try to keep it from clanging and banging to-gether. Most times I could.:-)
Then there was the odd "OOPS!"

One of the most significant pieces of M equipment that came into my hands a
number of years ago in relation to my eye was a Tom Abrahamsson RapidWinder.
It allowed me to continue shooting an M without taking the camera away from
my eye to advance film.

I've tried Leica M motors, actually each time they came out with a new and
improved version I bought, tried and got rid of them!  They were all junk,
still are as they thunk-clunk and make the shutter release pop up and down
like a yo yo.

With Tom's RapidWinder I can get 3 frames a second if need be ... manually
and without any noise nor batteries!

So now you know why I shoot left eyed with a right eyed camera! :-) Actually
it's a bonus because as I look at the scene before me, I see it as a flat
surface print! Handicap? Not on your life! :-)

ted

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Which camera would you NOT CARRY IN YER POCKET)
Message from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Which camera would you NOT CARRY IN YER POCKET)