Subject: [Leica] Not so sure about this one...
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Wed Sep 6 14:56:49 2006

David:

>I like this shot, but I think it was taken too close to the
>boards/gates....   the dof is too great... I think the action would
>be much better emphasized if the background were more out of focus.
>
>Can anybody here tell me how to do this in Photoshop?
>
>http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/roping.htm

_Photoshop Masking & Compositing_ by Katrin Eismann.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Masking-Compositing-Voices-Matter/dp/0735712794/

This book not only gives several different ways of creating complicated
masks, but one of the examples also showed how to make the background out of
focus in a realistic way.  Involved several layers.  Making sure that just
the right parts were blurred.  Probably very similar to what Philippe
posted.  Well worth the read and the money.  I also have another of her
books, Photoshop Restoration & Retouching.  Would recommend it, too.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/