Subject: [Leica] New Leica 28mm 2.8 ASPH lens
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Wed Sep 6 21:54:43 2006

Same here re wide angle M lenses - my favorite combo was the 35/2 on
an M6 and  I preferred an M3 for the 50/1.4 Shot the 21 and 15
Voightlander more often than the 90. Also, like you, Ted, I sold the
135 not only because it felt awkward but also because the f2.8
version never seemed to take a sharp photo for me at any f-stop or
shutter speed.

Biggest problem for me with the digital M is that its smaller sensor
size will make longer lenses out of the wide-angles. That's why the
first lens I got for my Olympus E-330 was their incredible 7-14mm/4
zoom - equiv to 14-28mm. Now the best Leica shooting I do is with
that lens and the Olympus!

With the FourThirds adapter, my Leica APO 70-180/2.8 also makes an
incredible telephoto on the E-330. Plan to keep that lens. But
Olympus did it right. Sad to say, I've given up holding my breath for
Leica. Creatively, Olympus is way more like Leica than Leica has been
for the last 25 years. Leica used to be all about a "system" of
creative camera tools. The system approach offered by the E-330 is in
keeping with what used to be the best of Leica. Alas, no more.

Gary Todoroff
(Tree LUGger)